Ever stood at a shoe store and contemplated about which pair to buy? If these are better or those? There are so many brands out there to choose from. One can find themselves in the middle of a dilemma when out on shoe shopping spree.
Comfort tops the list when it comes to buying shoes. You need to be certain about your shoes. For someone who is on their feet all day, comfort and support are the utmost priorities. So, if you are looking for a pair that is comfortable while you are walking through the streets all day long, Dansko vs Birkenstocks are your go-to options.
The two brands focus majorly on one’s comfort. These are best for people who have pain in their feet. But, which ones to choose from these two remains a question.
To answer this, let’s look at certain features of each and narrow it down to the ones ideal for you!
Comparison of Dansko vs Birkenstocks
Both the brands emphasize on delivering the most comfortable experience. But you still need to choose one, right? You need to find that perfect pair according to your needs. A few questions must be answered to help you find the pair.
Before getting onto what these brands feature and offer to customers. Here is a quick look at what these brands are and how they originated.
Dansko was founded by Mandy Cabot and Peter Kjellerup back in the 1990s. Improving the quality of peoples’ lives has been their key mission. Delivering great products, dedicated passion and commitment to a better tomorrow top their list.
The two-horse trainers kickstarted their venture with barn shoes. The traditional clogs, found in a tiny shop in Europe, proved so lucky for them. As souvenirs, they got it for their family and friends and soon started selling them too.
The news about these spread quickly all over the place and the clogs were everywhere. Dansko originated from “Danish shoes” was soon born with the widespread news.
People who long for comfort find these shoes to be a perfect pair for them. Their motto is to go that extra mile and deliver the best.
On the other hand, Birkenstock originated from Germany. Starting in the late-1890s, master cobbler Konrad Birkenstock cobbled his way into the shoe business. He began with manufacturing and selling flexible footbed insoles. Yes, comfort has been a priority since the 1890s.
Early 1900 saw the development of arch support and the birth of blue footbed manufactures in Friedberg. A training course was launched after a few decades by the name “Carl Birkenstock System”.
Soon after the launch, he launched the Madrid model that screamed flexibility and comfort all over. Today, Birkenstock footwear is spread over a large mass of 90+ countries and it continues to grow every day. Though it was founded in Germany, the headquarters of Birkenstock US is in Novato, CA.
Different Styles in Dansko
The wide range of shoes that Dansko offers help people to easily choose as per their comfort and needs. The durability, cost and range is a big tick on the checkbox. Being customer-friendly, Dansko has always made sure to look after people and please them.
Dansko takes care of both the quality of shoes based on personal preferences and the type of working environment. Also, Dansko’s have a few models for flat feet which we reviewed on this article of the best Dansko shoes for flat feet.
It combines the needs and looks together to manufacture that perfect pair of shoes. In addition to this, the collection is curated for both men and women.
Exclusively, it allows its customers to even get their shoes personalized. So, you don’t have to wear those boring shoes at work too. What better than designing your pair?
One gets to decide the color, finish etc.
- ALL DAY COMFORT: Our lighter weight XP 2.0 clogs are ergonomically designed with padded instep collar, roomy toe box, and TPU heel counter for women who are on their feet all day
- LONG STANDING SUPPORT: An EVA midsole provides stability and shock absorption, while the dual density PU footbed includes Dansko Natural Arch technology and memory foam for cushioning
- QUALITY & STYLE: With a classic clog shape, this practical footwear features high quality leather uppers. The removable footbed accommodates standard and custom orthotics
How about getting that little paw embossed on the shoe to make them perfect dog walker shoes? Dansko knows how to keep its customers happy. You can add these intricate details to stand out in front of the whole crowd. Because, why not?
Apart from this, a lot of distinct features are covered to ensure that the customer is always satisfied and content. Waterproof, animal prints, professional shoes for nurses and chefs; all these variants have been sketched explicitly for all customer genres.
The traditional clogs have been given various new features to suit all kinds of jobs. Be it for chefs or nurses. Besides these, Mary Janes, boots, sneakers, heels, flats etc., everything has been specially designed with comfort to help women shop everything and anything they need all under one roof.
- Leather and or fabric uppers
- Padded instep collar for comfort when walking
- Roomy reinforced toe box for protection with plenty of "wiggle room" for your toes
Different Styles in Birkenstocks
Well, in the comparison of Birkenstocks vs Dansko, Birkenstocks are not too behind either. Along with selling some great footwear, they have their skincare range which includes certain foot products as well. The foot care range comprises of the cooling cream, moisturizing balm and nourishing leg and foot oil. Surely, it is a complete foot massage package.
All of the shoes are entailed with comfortable footbed insoles. The special Valentine’s edition comes across as a perfect gift for your loved ones to show that you care about their comfort.
Winter collections offer some beautiful tailor-made styles to match with your winter wardrobe. Of the entire range, Arizona, Bakki, Boston, Mayari, Yao, and Gizeh are the most loved and popular styles. An exquisite buckle detail can be seen in all these styles.
Besides the details and different variants, the material is also given equal importance. While some people are intrigued by the look and make of the shoe, a lot of people are particular about the material. Birkenstock has it all. Leather, oiled leather, shearling, suede, nubuck, etc. all these are exclusively available in various styles.
- The sizes mentioned on the bottom of the sole with M and L represent Men and Ladies
- Certified Anti-slip outsole
- Item is dishwasher safe (can be washed in the dishwasher after removing the insole)
Now, are you a vegan? Are you a complete vegan?
But, are your shoes vegan? Never gave a thought on that, did you?
At Birkenstocks, you get that too! They have paid extravagant attention to craft a pair of shoes for vegans too. Well, it’s time to save the environment. Isn’t it?
But what if you can’t head to a store? Birkenstocks have made sure to provide comfort all over the world. Online exclusives are available so that you can sit back and relax and order from home.
Parents, your kids have been taken care of too. An eclectic collection is prepared for your kids to keep up with the trend. Water-friendly shoes are produced so that you don’t have to worry when they jump into a puddle.
The whole enchilada is designed to give your feet great relaxation and relief at the same time.
- Ultra-lightweight and water-friendly EVA construction
- Slide on style with double adjustable straps for a perfect fit
- Molded footbed for added comfort and support
Comfort level of Dansko vs Birkenstocks
The entire collection of both brands has been designed considering the comfort of their customers. Even though they are competitors, their motto is the same, to provide the best experience.
Observing the type of jobs nowadays, it has been found that most of them demand long hours of shear standing. So, clinging onto this, these brands have put their major focus on providing comfort and support to the feet. Because of this, most people have switched from other brands to these.
The entire ideology is based on comfort. A footbed insole is fit inside to give comfort and support to the foot during long hours of standing. Apart from the insole, the arch is also designed in a way that it adds to the comfort. It is kept wide enough so the fingers can move easily and not feel cramped.
Clearly, for these two brands, their products have been designed and manufactured keeping in mind the comfort of the people. In simple words, the products revolve around comfort.
Similarities and Differences in Dansko and Birkenstocks
As mentioned above, both the companies emphasize on comfort. Besides comfort, durability, stability and flexibility also come at par during production. The footbed provided by both brands has been given extra attention to ensure paramount comfort.
But, to gain more audience and increase their market, both the brands have some additional features to facilitate this. Apart from comfort, which is by now obvious that these brands offer, they have even focused on small details like occasion editions, variety of styles, different colors, etc. Along with these, they have given equivalent importance to the ongoing trend and based on it have designed clogs, boots, heels, etc. Not only do these go with the aesthetics of today’s generation but even with the added comfort of soft footbed insoles and outsoles. This way, fashion and comfort, both are managed.
Some of these differences are listed below:
- The footbed of Dansko’s shoes offers excellent arch support but fails to provide a customized fit. On the contrary, Birkenstock has managed to provide this custom fit along with comfort.
- Coming onto the support, arch support is necessary when one has to stand all day. It helps in reducing or eliminating the pain that arises due to long hours of standing or even walking. Birkenstock first developed and introduced this feature in the shoes. Danskos provide arch support too, but its significance is not that huge in their shoes.
- The Upper decides the durability and how long will the pair last. While Dansko took care of this factor by providing a hard Upper making them last long, Birkenstock has a soft leather in their shoes. This makes them last comparatively less long.
- Although Birkenstock provides great comfort and support, it lacks in providing different styles and comes in limited plain colours. On the other hand, Dansko has a wide range of styles from dress shoes to clogs. It has everything covered.
- From a cleaning perspective, Birkenstock has leather as well as rubber shoes for easy cleaning since leather is not washable. So, for jobs with rigorous activity, rubber shoes are a better option. Contrarily, Dansko does not produce rubber shoes since it has clogs and they are easy to clean. Some of them are even water-resistant.
- Many people look for those pair of shoes that have some heel height to add that extra bit of height. Who minds to look a bit taller, after all? Dansko takes care of this. Heel height of 1-2 inches except for making you taller, enhances the entire look. The Birkenstocks do not provide any such heel heights.
- With all the features that a pair of Dansko comes with, it is undoubtedly expensive. Here, the other brand wins. Being less expensive helps it achieve a greater number of customers. Not everyone can afford an expensive pair.
- Both Dansko and Birkenstocks are available in two size variants; Narrow and Regular. Narrow ones are for people with narrow to medium size feet and Regular ones for people with medium to wide size feet.
- Flexibility is also an essential feature for shoes to be considered good. Birkenstocks are more flexible than Dansko. The latter being stiff can be a little rough on the feet.
- Extra room for fingers is mandatory. This facilitates their easy movement. Birkenstocks have raised toe bar to separate the toes. While the Dansko doesn’t have this feature in them.
- Dansko allows one to customize their shoes just the way they want. You want to get some charm or number embossed? Go ahead. Pair it up with your choice of color and material. These can be really good gifts for the people you love. Select from a broad range of options and get your dream pair ready. Sadly, Birkenstock does not have any such provision. It has limited options or styles to choose from and no personalization feature is added.
- Birkenstocks are functional orthopedic shoes. They are majorly popular with chefs and other workers. Danskos, in contrast, are more popular in the hospital environment. Because of their all-day comfort feature, they are even becoming popular amongst chefs, flight attendants, teachers, etc.
- Danskos are APMA approved but Birkenstocks are not.
Given these dissimilarities, both of the brands are great with their own set of features and have been liked by many. Their all-day comfort feature has grabbed the attention of all. It is unquestionably one of the reasons for their widespread popularity and demand. Even though there are certain factors which can make a person dicey during their purchase, yet, the overall analysis of the two brands is that they are worth their price and very good in terms of comfort and durability.
What brand is better for you?
Should I buy Danskos?
Danskos with its whole array of features is suitable for many different work environments. Few styles have certain features embedded in them which makes them perfect from a professional viewpoint as well. If one is not looking for work shoes, they still can opt for this brand. This is because there are so many options and styles to choose from.
For women, several variants are produced like boots, heels, clogs etc. All sorts of categories have been covered. The whole idea behind personalization is to provide people with the liberty to get their shoes customized as per their work atmosphere or even otherwise. So, if you are a dog trainer, you can buy the animal print variant.
They have special categories like nurse shoes or chef shoes. These are added with extra comfort and grip.
Should I buy Birkenstocks?
The brand is known for its season’s specials. They have a separate winter collection. The Valentine’s Day edition is just what you need as the last-minute gift. Also, these specific target collections, there are many other styles available like metallics, premium styles etc.
An eye-catchy feature is that the brand makes shoes for kids as well. For kids, they have added water-friendly pairs and different details to make them match the vibe and cuteness of kids.
Professional pairs are also manufactured by Birkenstock. Medical or nursing shoes (here is a list of the best shoes for nurses), gardening shoes, all are available with their set of features. Besides these two categories, there are shoes for people working in hotels or restaurants. All these are finished with features like anti-slip, antistatic, steel toe, etc.
The needs of all kinds of people have been considered while designing these shoes. So that they come in best use and impart great comfort.
The whole agenda is to help you choose a pair of shoes that fits you perfectly and gives great comfort. Whatever be the brand that you pick, it must do justice to the purpose and fulfil all the needs.
Apart from this what matters is that you aren’t uneasy during your working hours or are feeling pain in your feet. No shoes can guarantee comfort and durability for all because neither foot shape nor the job profiles of two individuals are the same.
It is quite obvious that not all shoes that are comfortable are suitable for your job as well. There might be certain pairs that offer great comfort but are not water-resistant and you are a cleaner. So, to make sure that you invest in the right pair of shoes, check all the pros and cons of that particular pair before getting your card swiped!
Therefore, buying a properly fitted and gripping shoe is a must if you need to have that comfortable and soothing feel.